AlexanderContest_Intro"Alexander & his Legacy" Contest - You must click on all images
"Alexander and His Legacy" Contest. Please read this Introduction carefully and remember that to see the full details for each item, you MUST click on the image. This Contest came into being following a generous donation from Collector Charley Rhodes, who has given magnificently to ACE's various School Ancient Coin Museums over the past year. Thank you Charley!
FatherRev1. Click on image for question
1. Alexander the Great's father was himself a famous general - a) What was his name? b) What country did he rule over? c) What year did he die? d) How old was he when he died?
AlexCapitolineMus2. Click on image for question
2. a) How old was Alexander when his father died? b) What was the name of his mother? c) After inheriting his kingdom, what was the first major battle he fought in 334 BC?
AlexGreatHead3. Click on image for question
3. The following year, Alexander won a huge victory - a) give the name /place of this victory......? b) Against whom was he fighting....? c) Give the name of the King of that nation...? d) Did he capture that enemy King?
AlexfullGrk4. Click on image for question
4. a) In 332 BC, Alexander laid seige to which city?........ b) this was very difficult because of the city's position on?........... c) in order to finally gain access to the city, he built a ?..........
AlexAVcoin5. Click on image for question
5. This beautiful gold coin minted by Alexander shows a) which deity on the obverse left? b) what sort of helmet is being worn on the obverse?
Alexcomes6. Click on image for question
6. a) In 331 Alexander won a huge victory at ....? b) by winning this victory he essentially gained access to a huge Empire, called the .........? Empire. c) Name the ruler of this Empire .....?
AlexSculpture7. Click on image for question
7. After the previously mentioned victory, Alexander's route to the East was opened : Name 2 of the regions to the furthest North East that he conquered a) ..... ? and b)...? - then c) Name the city that he founded at the farthest bounds of his North East Empire?......... ( two words)
AlexBritMus8. Click on image for question
8. a) In 326 BC, Alexander turned South and fought a heavy battle at ..............? b) which Indian King did he defeat.....?
AlexBA2ndChR9. Click on image for question
9. This reverse of an Alexander bronze clearly shows the initials B A - a) what does B A stand for ( 2 words); b) and what do those 2 words mean in English. c) What was the name of the first and legitimate wife Alexander married in the East.....?
AlexFrside10. Click on image for question
10. After all the years and the distances travelled Alexander's troops wanted to go home and were near mutiny. So, he turned West - a) the route he took passed through the desert lands of .....? Then b) aboard his fleet commanded by ? ........
Istanbul11. Click on image for question
11. Various theories exist regarding Alexander's death - we cannot be sure of the cause of death, but he died in a).......... (2 words month and year); b) Where did he die....? c) A Sarcophagus in Istanbul ( but Not his!) shows his beloved horse called .......?
AfterAlexEratosthenesMap12. Click on image for question
12. a)When he died, his wife was pregnant and gave birth thereafter to a child called ......? b) The other obvious heir to his Kingdom /Empire was his half brother called ? ............ ( 2 words). c) Give the name of the Regent who had been left in charge back home......?
PosthumousIssueCoin13. Click image for question
13. The death of Alexander left a huge Empire and his generals and friends wanted all or part of it. a) There is a name used specifically for these "successors" and it is the .....? (word of Greek origin). Please name 3 of the 4 most important of them:- b).....; c).......; and d)......
BeautyThrace14. Click on image for question
14. a) This coin was minted by the ruler of Thrace following Alexander's death, what was his name....? b) another of Alexander's successors was called " the One-Eyed" - what was his first name....?; and c) please give his nickname which is the Greek for the One eyed.........?
Murderson15) Click on image for question
15) The Ruler who minted this coin, killed Alexander's young son : a) what was this murderer's name ? ....... b) Did he also kill Alexander's wife?......
305Sarcostealer16. Click on image for question
16. a) Which of his successors " kidnapped" Alexander's dead body...? b)Who became the ruler of Egypt after Alexander? ...... and c) what was the dynasty he founded called?..... d) What is Alexander wearing on his head on this coin / a ....? ... headdress.
HornedHorse_Elephant17. Click on image for question
17. a) Which ruler after Alexander's death beat another 80 year old companion of Alexander in 281 BC....? b) Whom did he beat...? c) What happened in the battle to the loser.. did he survive?
FailureAtRhodes18. Click image for question
18. One of the contenders for power in this ongoing struggle is shown here - his " nickname" was the Beseiger a) what was his first name....? b)Give the well known Greek originated version of his " nickname"....? c) Which famous port did he fail to win by siege? d) Give his father's name.....
FarthestBoundaries19. Click on image for question
19. In 256 BC, the man shown on this coin obverse, broke away from the distant ruler of his land called Baktria, and became a usurper - a) what was his name....? b) From whom did he take control - give the full name, dynasty etc of the previous ruler...? ( for example : King Henry VIII of the Kingdom of Great Britain).
Sister_Wife-Egypt20. Click on image for question
20. This coin shows the second wife of the second ruler of Egypt after Alexander. a) Give her full name.......? b) Give her husband's two full names.......( The first name and his second name of Greek origin) ? c) Her husband had constructed several world famous buildings.,.. name 2 of them ? d) in which city were they built?
ThirdTheGreatApollo21. Click on image for question
21. This man, like Alexander, was called " the Great" a) what was his first name......? b) since he was not the first of that name in that Dynasty, what number was he.....? c) What was that Dynasty called?....d) At which battle was he defeated by the Romans in 191 BC...?
YoungerSonofGreat22. Click image for question
22. a) The younger son of the King in # 21, what was this King's full official name?.......... ( e.g. Philip V Philopator) b) he was much hated by the Jews for destroying what .........? c) what year did he die...?
FirstK23. Click image for question
23. a) This Queen was the first in the Dynasty into which she married, to bear a very famous name a) what was it....?. b) Her husband was .....?. c) at the time of his coronation in 197 BC, a famous Stone was inscribed in several languages in Egypt, what was it called ....?
ElephantBottleCap24. Click image for question
24. This shows the head of the child king, son of Alexander Balas - a) he was called.......? b) He was murdered by his General called .....? c) the General later took the throne using the name of King .............? d) This coin looks like a bottle cap, but is correctly known as a ......? coin.
EndOfLine25. Click on image for question
25. This king was the 13th of his name in the Dynasty - a) what was his name....? b) what was the dynasty's name ....? He was murdered and his kingdom was taken over by the Romans in what year BC....?
62BCEndMacedonDynasty_Rep26. Click on image for question
26. This Roman Republican coin shows the next remnant of Alexander's Empire to fall into Roman hands was the land of his origin. a) It was called ....? b) Its king and his two sons were defeated by the Romans - what was the King's name; c) in what year did this happen.....?
HistoricalConnection27. Click image for question
27. This world famous Queen had two Roman generals as lovers........ a) What is her full name ....................? ( e.g. Queen Zenobia I of Palmyra) b) What was the name of the famous Roman by whom she bore a son.?............. ( two words). Together with her second Roman general, she fought the Romans but lost and committed suicide - c) what was the name of that battle.........?
AphroditeOfMelos28. Click on image for question
28. The times of Alexander's successors, in spite of numerous wars and dynastic disputes, produced a flowering of creative art. a) The statue shown is generally known by what name .......? b) This era is generically known as the ?.......... ( 1 word) " Age.
AlexAVHornTie Breaker 1 - Click Image for question
TIE BREAKER # I - Alexander was often proclaimed as the son of Zeus, but a) on this coin he is shown wearing on his head something called .................? b)This relates to his pilgrimage-type journey to a place called ..........? c)In which country was this religious sanctuary .....?
FaroffRulerTIE BREAKER # II Click image for question
TIE BREAKER II a) what is the name of the hat this ruler is wearing?
155_130TIE BREAKER # III Click image for question
TIE BREAKER III From 155-130 BC in the far off corners of the former Alexander Empire, the king shown ruled well. a) His name was ...........? b) which Goddess on the reverse shows you that the Greek influence is still strong.....? c) The Coin is inscribed in Greek and also in the local language known as ......?
MaternalGrandfatherTIE BREAKER # IV - Click image for question
TIE BREAKER IV - This ruler was the maternal grandfather of Caesarion...a) what is his full name.......? (e.g. Philip VII Philadelphos) - b) he also had a Greek originated "nickname" - what was that (not the translation into English).........? c)what was the full name of his wife....? ( e.g. Elizabeth I)