AchaemenidWorldIntro"Achaemenid World" sponsored by Wayne Sayles and ACE - for ACE Teachers
"Achaemenid World" sponsored by Wayne Sayles and ACE - for ACE Teachers
SiglosClick on image for questions
1. First things first. This is a Siglos..... what is the plural of Siglos?
SirHenrysDrawingatSiteClick on image for questions
2. Background to the Achaemenid Empire: Around 612 BC, the Medes and the Babylonians were victorious over a famous Empire mentioned in the Bible a) what was the name of this Empire? b) what was the name of its capital which they captured? c)What was the name of the ruler who in circa 700 BC had built a fabulous palace in this capital?
atEarlyAchaemenidPalaceClick on image for questions
3. This shows King Cyrus II, whose victory over the Medes created the Achaemenid Empire, where was his famous Palace?
EarlyLydianGoldCoinClick on image for questions
4. This shows one of the very earliest of coins minted in Lydia. In 546BC Cyrus defeated the king of Lydia, a) what was his name? b) what was the name of the dynasty which ruled in Lydia before Cyrus invaded it? c) What mineral was found in Lydia, which made people call their King " the richest man in the world".
Babylon_LioncolbrkClick on image for questions
5. Cyrus then defeated the Babylonians - a) in what year?
b) Cyrus allowed the Jews to return to their homeland - but what was the name of the Babylonian king who had taken them into captivity in 587 BC ? c) Which of the 7 wonders of the ancient world was created by the same King, who destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem?
HistorianfromHalicarnassusClick on image for questions
6.This is a famous historian from Halicarnassus, who recorded many of the doings of the Achaemenid rulers - What is his name?
CyrusII_TombClick on image for questions
7. This is the Tomb of Cyrus the Great. Sometime after his conquest of Lydia - the "Royal Road" was built from a) ? which city in Lydia; to b) which Persian city?
WhatBull_whichRulerClick on image for questions
8. a) What was the name of Cyrus' successor? b) when fighting in Egypt, he wounded a Sacred Bull called the ?.. Bull. (This Bull also appears later on Roman coins.) In line with the Egyptian prediction, this son of Cyrus died not long thereafter.... c) in what year?
LionattacksBull_ApadanaPalaceClick on image for questions
9.The next Achaemenid Ruler was Darius the Great. a) He built the Apadana Palace at ....?; b) How many Achaemenid Rulers called " Darius" were there from the time of Cyrus the Great through to the conquest by Alexander the Great?
Darius the GreatClick on image for questions
10. Darius invaded Greece, but was defeated in battle by the Greeks in 490 BC - what was the name of the battle?
SonofDariustheGreatClick on image for questions
11. a) What was the name of the next ruler, who was the son of Darius I the Great...? b) He also invaded Greece and sacked Athens after winning a famous battle at ....? c) in what year.....?
Persian warriorsClick on image for questions
12. a) However, this ruler was then defeated by the Greeks at the naval battle of ..... ? b) Which famous Jewish female figure in the Old Testament lived during his reign?
MaleSphinxClick on image for questions
13.Artaxerxes I was the next ruler. He reigned from a) ? ; to b) ...? . c) He had many children by different concubines, but what was the name of his Queen ...?
Great KingClick on image for questions
14. Artaxerxes I was succeeded for a very short time by his legitimate heir who was called a)..? . This legitimate heir was killed by a half brother called Sogdianus, who in turn was killed by another half brother called Ochus - when Ochus became the ruler,even though he was colloquially known as "Nothus" meaning " the bastard", he took the official name of b) ?... His queen was called Parysatis.
CarianTombClick on image for questions
15. The son of the above king and Parysatis was Artaxerxes II who had a long but not very successful reign from 404 - 358 BC. Artaxerxus II was also called " Mnemon" a) what does this mean....? b) During his reign,which Persian religious cult was revived which later had a following amongst Roman soldiers...?. c) During Artaxerxes II reign there were many revolts by the Achaemenid provincial governors who were called ...? They included the one who built this tomb, and ...d) his name was ....?
1705drawingTombArtaxerxesIIorIIIClick on image for questions
16) The Tomb shown belonged to either Artaxerxes II or Artaxerxes III. a) Artaxerxes III ruled from 358 BC to ...?
The next ruler was a distant royal family member called Codomannus, who became King taking the name of b) ...? (pls give as Henry V or Edward III, using the numeral). Now many parts of the Achaemenid Empire were in revolt and some of the Greek speaking parts had already been conquered by the father of Alexander, who was ....c)...., and who was assassinated in ....d)..>
DariusIIIatbattlewAlexClick on image for questions
17. The last of the Achaemenid kings started his reign in 336, but Alexander the Great defeated him at a)..the battle of..... b) which year did that take place...? c) When was the last Achaemenid king killed..?....