RomHistoryIII_Flavian_IntroIntroduction to Roman History Part III Contest. Please click on each image in turn to see questions.
Introduction to Roman History Part III Contest. Please click on each image in turn to see questions.
1) This man became Emperor following the end of the Julio Claudians. a) who was the last of the Julio Claudian Emperors....? b) Who was this Emperor (shown on the coin) who succeeded the last of the Julio Claudian Emperors?
c) Who offered him the Imperial throne..?
2) - a)In his younger days this new Emperor was a favorite of one of the Julio Claudian Empresses.... which Empress ...? b) To which Emperor was that Empress married...? c) how many months did the Emperor shown on this coin reign...?
3) In January of AD 69, the old Emperor, who had succeeded the last Julio Claudian, was murdered...a) how old was he....? The new man shown on this coin was involved in the murder and became Emperor himself - b) what was his name...? c) how old was he...?
4) Alas the short term Emperor mentioned in the previous question ruled only a) ...... days b) also he did not really look at all like this coin portrait because he wore a...... ?
5)This is the next Emperor known as Vitellius...a) please give his full name.......; b)in what year was he born? c) Please give full date on which the Roman Senate recognized him as Emperor.
6)This man, the Emperor Vitellius, was known to indulge in one of the Seven Deadly Sins.... a) which Sin....?
b) When did he die?
7)In July 69 AD, the very successful general shown on this coin was proclaimed Emperor. a) who was he.....?; b) Which Dynasty did he found; c)Which rival Emperor did he defeat; d) name his ally from Syria...........?
8) The new Emperor liked buildings. What sort of a temple is shown on the reverse of this coin? - a) it is called a? ....style temple. He started the construction of what we call the Colosseum, but he died before the huge project was completed - b) when did he die ?
9) The reverse of this coin shows a special type of column - a) what is it called? b) what items are shown as mounted up the sides of the column? .... c) from what are these items taken?
10)This first Flavian Emperor had experience of many parts of the Empire and the first of the Legions who swore allegiance to him did so when he was in Alexandria, hence his connection with the beautiful goddess shown on this reverse -a) who was she ....? b) in which Roman province was her worship paramount...? c)Besides his involvement in the Eastern Mediterranean, during his reign, a famous general of his crushed revolts in Britannia and became governor there.. the name of this General was.....?
Son who also ruled
11) a) Give the full name of the 2nd Flavian Emperor .......b) When was he born...? c)In what year did he become Emperor....? d)With which Foreign Queen was he in love - give her name.... (1 word)? e) Who was this woman's brother?
12) The Flavian Emperor son completed militarily what the Flavian Emperor father had started (dating back to Nero's time)... a)this coin reverse is known as " ....... (1 word) Capta"; b) What ancient city, which had rebelled, fell to the Romans in 70AD? c) What famous building there was burnt down?
13)He also continued this building which still stands nowadays a) in what city...? b) what is its correct name..( 2 words)?
14) Name the famous natural disaster which took place in these times - not far from Naples - which disaster was the a)...... of ......... ( 2 words); and b)which took place in what year ...? c) Name the 2 most famous nearby Roman cities which suffered.... ?
15) a)On which date did this 2nd Flavian Emperor die?
b) how old was he?
16) a) Which Flavian Emperor was the father of this Roman Imperial lady? b) what was her name ( 2 words)? c) which of her relatives fell in love with her......?(2 words - his relationship and his name)
17) This is the 2nd son of Vespasian a) his full name is.... (3 words)? b) when was he born? c) He admired the ancient Greeks warriors very much - so what is shown on the reverse of this coin?
18) a) A new palace was built for this last Flavian Emperor- on which of the Hills of Rome was it erected....? However, b) constant outbreaks of war on the Danube frontier carried on and in 89AD a truce was concluded with the Dacian king named ...?
19) Ref the last of the Flavians... a)On what date did he die? b) what is shown in this reverse? c)which city state in Greece is particularly connected with this mythological animal via its coins?.
20) a) To which Flavian was this woman married ....?
b) What was her name....( 2 words)? c) what is shown on the reverse of this coin...... (1 word). d)In what crime was she implicated in AD 96..... (2 words) ?
HetriedTB# 1) Click for questions
TB# 1) This man was never really an Emperor, but he revolted against Nero and issued coins...a) Who was he .....(two words) ? b)which Roman province did he rule as governor at the time of his revolt against Nero in April of AD 68?
TB # 2
This gold coin reverse of Vespasian shows a Bull carved by a famous Greek sculptor in the 5th century BCE. a) What was his name .....?
b)The Romans brought these bronze sculptures to Rome and put them in the Temple of .... ?