ROMAN HISTORY IMAGE CONTEST Pt IV The early Adoptive Emperors - Nerva, Trajan and Hadrian - a fascinatingly successful period in Roman History .. a pleasure to research.
RomHistIV_EarlyAdoptiveEmperorsContest Roman History Pt IV " The early Adoptive Emperors" Click on image to see Introduction & Instructions.. and Click on other images to see questions.
Contest Roman History Pt IV " The early Adoptive Emperors" Click on image to see Introduction & Instructions.. and Click on other images to see questions.
1)Upon the assassination of the Emperor Domitian, a new Emperor was proclaimed, and this is a 17th century image of the ruins of his Forum. a) Who was he?......(give his full name pls) b) when was he born?..... c)what was his profession?.......
2)With which 2 previous Emperors, had he been Consul..... a)firstly with.....? b) thereafter with ....? Give the dates of his first Consulships c) = AD.....? and d) = AD.....?
3) a) The lovely Denarius shows a mythological Goddess with a Hound, who is she?....... b) Whom did this Emperor adopt to succeed him ?....... c) With which section of the Roman population was the man he adopted particularly popular?....... d) When did the Emperor die? (full date pls) and his adopted son take over......?
4) This is an early engraving of Trajan's Forum - sadly we can no longer see it this way. a) Pls give Trajan's full name....? b) In which country (modern name) was he born....? c) Trajan's father was a military Governor in which Eastern Province in 75 AD..... (give modern name -1 word)? d) In what capacity ( his title/rank) did Trajan himself serve there at that time... ( 2 words) ?
5) Trajan's background.... a) of which Roman Province was he named Governor before becoming Emperor.....? b) and in what year...? c) What was the name of his wife....?
6) Trajan wanted to expand the Roman Empire.... a) he built this bridge over a famous River called the .....? b) and conquered a new area which became a Roman Province called ....? c) What was the name of the King there whom he defeated........?
7)This beautiful coin shows a famous column erected to commemmorate this successful conquest a) in which city does this column stand...? b) Between 106-112, the Emperor Trajan added another province to the Roman Empire.. its provincial capital was at Petra, what was the new province called..... (1 word)?
8) a)This is Trajan's Arch, but it is not in Rome... whereabouts in Italy is it?...(1 word) b)In what year did Trajan capture the Parthian capital ....? c) what was the name of the Parthian capital....?
Trajan Equestrian Statue SA
9)Having captured the Parthian capital, Trajan marched South, and the King of Characene submitted to him - this happened on an island in a River...a) what was the name of the island.... ?, and b) what is the name of the River......? However, a Jewish rebellion broke out as well as problems in Mesopotamia, and Trajan started on his way back, but he died en route c) what Year...... AD? d) in which town.... ? e) in which Province...?
Hadrianstime Roman empire map
10)a) what was Hadrian's full name ...(3 words)? b) what was the name of his wife...? c) She was related to the Emperor Trajan, being the daughter of his...... (1 word)?
11) a) During Trajan's 2nd Dacian war, Hadrian commanded which Legion... the First Legion " ......."(1 Word"?; b) Of what Roman Province was Hadrian Governor during Trajan's Parthian war.... ? c) This coin shows a new facial feature / style which had not previously been that of earlier Roman Emperors.... it shows him with a ....?
HadrianAESestertius rev Hadrian on horseback greeting soldiers
12) The beautiful reverse shows Hadrian on Horseback greeting his soldiers. During his reign Hadrian travelled all over the Roman Empire. Please put a date when Hadrian was in the following provinces..... a) Britannia......?; b) Mauretania....?; c) Hadrian's visit to Ephesus....?
13) This cracked inscription showing Hadrian's name comes from a Roman Fort in England.... a) which huge boundary did Hadrian have built in England... it is called Hadrian's .... (1 word)? b)Which warlike tribe lived on the Northern side of this boundary ( use their old name please) - they were the .....? c) there was a large Cavalry Fort on this defensive line now known as "Chesters" - what was its Roman name......?
Hadrian w Mythological animal
14) This Hadrianic coin shows a mythycal animal on its reverse a) what is the animal called.......? b) In AD 130 Hadrian, his wife and court attendants visited The Valley of the Kings in Egypt for the second time..and saw the Colossi of .... (1 word)? c) These are connected with a probably mythic hero who was killed at Troy by whom.....(1 word)?
15) The Emperor Hadrian was fond of Greek culture - especially architecture...a) this 1600s image shows a famous building in Rome rebuilt by Hadrian and dedicated to all the gods..it is called the .....?; b) He had a great villa built for himself not far from Rome at....... (give modern name, beginning with "T")? c) The Castel St. Angelo in Rome was originally Hadrian's ......(1 word)?
16) a)In what month and year did Hadrian die? b) where did he die?
c) what was the name of the next Emperor, whom Hadrian had adopted........(2 words).
17) This lovely Republican silver coin shows a reverse depicting a "Triumphal Chariot"....a)which of the 3 Emperors was awarded a " Triumph" after his death......?.
b) What is the numismatic denomination of this coin? what is it called.... (1 word) ?
18) a) Which of the 3 Emperors wanted to rebuild Jerusalem.....? However, he wanted to erect Pagan temples and settle Roman veterans there, so the Jews rebelled -b) what was the name of the Revolt .... the ( 2 words) Revolt ? This having been suppressed Jews were banished from Jerusalem, and c) the province of Judaea was renamed as the Province of... ( 2 words)
19) Which of these 3 Adoptive Emperors put forward the last of the Agrarian Reform Laws?
20) This coin ( a reverse) is the traditional depiction of a victorious Emperor's Spoils of War....numismatically, what is shown on this reverse image is called.... (1 word)?
AstarteAradosHump bk Bull
21)This marvellous coin from Arados shows a local Goddess with an Emperor, and a Humpbacked bull on the reverse.... it was minted for the only Emperor who actually saw the Persian Gulf.... who was that?