Roman History Pt V Image Contest
Roman History Part V AD 138 through AD 192
ACE Image Contest. Click on the images to see the questions.
Roman Hist Pt V Antonines Instruc
Click on the image for the Instructions
Antoninus Pius ObvClick on the image for the questions
1. This coin shows the Emperor Antoninus Pius a) when was he made Emperor..... b) He was not the first choice of the Emperor Hadrian to succeed him - who was ? (3 words) c) From which Roman Province did Antoninus Pius' family originate? ( 2 words)
AntPiusDenClick on the image for the questions
2. a) What action is shown on the reverse of this coin of Antoninus Pius? (2-3 words) b) Antoninus Pius had a long reign, when did he die? ... c) He had the longest reign since which previous Emperor? d) Who was Galerius Antoninus? (2-3 words)
Temple by Pronti18thC engravingClick on the image for the questions
3. This 18th century engraving by Pronti shows a Temple dedicated to Antoninus and his wife... a) Where are the ruins of this temple? b) what was her full name? c) Was he already Emperor when she married him ( Yes or No) d)Give Antoninus Pius' full name at birth.
AntoninusPiuswIsisClick on the image for the questions
4. a) Was Antoninus Pius known as a good ruler? (Yes or No)
b) Was the Roman world largely peaceful at that time (Yes or No). c) on the reverse of this coin a famous building in Alexandria is shown, what is it?
AntoninusPiusBeastCoinsClick on the image for the questions
5. This coin of Antoninus Pius has an interesting reverse. a) Whom does it show? b) From which Roman province does this deity come?
Empress and PeacockClick on the image for the questions
6. a)This coin shows Faustina, the wife of Antoninus Pius - to which earlier Empress was she related? b) When did she die? c) After her death she was accorded a special title, what was it? d) She was the aunt of a later adopted Emperor- which one?
Marcus AureliuswTempleClick on the image for the questions
7. a) When did Antoninus Pius die? b)Who married Faustina Junior the daughter of Antoninus Pius? c) In what year did he marry her?
Lucius VerusClick on the image for the questions
8. This man, Lucius Verus, was also adopted by Antoninus Pius. a) in what year? b)who was his real birth father? ( 2 words) c) To whom was he married? d) what relation to Marcus Aurelius, was Lucius Verus' wife? e) When did Lucius Verus die?
LuciusVerusIncitatClick on the image for the questions
9. a) On this coin of Lucius Verus, the reverse shows him with his co-emperor, who was ? b) In what part of the Roman Empire did Lucius Verus campaign during the period AD163-165? c) when one of the two co-emperors is described as "weak and hedonistic", which one of the two is that?
MarcusAureliusMLClick on the image for the questions
10. This is another coin of Marcus Aurelius who was also adopted by Antoninus Pius a) In what year was he given the title of Caesar? b) Was Lucius Verus also given the title of Caesar during Antoninus Pius' lifetime? ( Yes or No)
MarcusAureliusWSClick on the image for the questions
11. Marcus Aurelius was a remarkable man... a) to which Greek school of philosophy did he adhere? b) What is the name of the celebrated philosophical work which he wrote and which is still published today?
MarcusAurelius campaignRevClick on the image for the questions
12. Marcus Aurelius ( and before his death Lucius Verus) spent much of the reign fighting frontier wars. This coin reverse shows a war fought in 163 AD. a) Look at this coin carefully and say where this particular war was fought ?
b) The war was provoked by the King of Parthia - what was his name? c) After several early setbacks, the Romans regained the upper hand and the victorius Roman general (under Lucius Verus) founded a new city - what was it called? In 164 AD, a Roman protege was made King of the area - d) what was his name?
MarcusAureliusdistantwarClick on the image for the questions
13. The Frontier wars continued, and in 165 AD, Roman generals invaded Mesopotamia - a) this was called the ?... (1 word) War. However one unfortunate side effect of the Roman incursion into the East was a sickness brought back to the West by the Roman soldiers who had campaigned there b) this sickness is generically called "the ......." ?
FaustinaJunwife MarcAurelDenClick on the image for the questions
14. This Denarius depicts Faustina II ( Junior) the wife of Marcus Aurelius... a) whose daughter was she? b) was she the elder or younger daughter? c)give her full name; d) In what year did she marry Marcus Aurelius?
FaustinaII_NicomediaClick on the image for the questions
15. This beautifully colored coin shows Faustina II again. She was given various honorific titles - a) what title was she given at the birth of her first child in AD 14. b) What title was she given to honor the fact that she travelled with Marcus Aurelius and his army on many of his foreign campaigns? c) After her death, Marcus Aurelius honored her with yet another title, which was ....?
LucillaWSAD164Click on the image for the questions
16. This coin shows Lucilla... She was a) the daughter of...... and ......; b) her first husband was........... c) her second husband was.........; d) in AD 182 she unsuccessfully plotted against whom......?
CommodusMarcBClick on the image for the questions
17. This shows the young Commodus. a) where was he born? b) when was he born? c) When did his father die?
CommodusAsWSClick on the image for the questions
18. This coin shows the unstable side of Commodus - a) he believed himself to be the reincarnation of which deity? b) what in particular on the obverse of this coin demonstrates this belief? c) He is also said to have become a public spectacle by fighting as a .......?
SadAugustaMarcBClick on the image for the questions
19. a) This unfortunate Empress was married to Commodus in what year? b) What was her name? (give 2 words please).
CommodustheUnworthySonClick on the image for the questions
20. Commodus was an unworthy son to Marcus Aurelius and a sad end to the successful Antonine/Adoptive rulers. a) In what month and what year did Commodus die? b) How "exactly" was he murdered?
21. a) Did any of the Emperors from AD 138 through AD 192 visit the Roman province of Britannia? b)In Britannia, circa 140-141 AD there was a revolt of which tribe? c) This was a major cause of the building of a further "Wall" North of Hadrian's Wall, it was called the .....? ( 2 words)
22. a)This Provincial Roman coin was minted for Commodus in Pautalia - in which province was the city located? b) What language was commonly used in this province and shown on its coins? c) Roman emperors had long official names ( nomens and titles)- Commodus had 12 at death -- so which one of the following 13 did NOT form part of Commodus's official name at the time of his death..
Lucius Aelius Aurelius Germanicus Commodus Augustus Herculeus Romanus Exsuperatorius Amazonius Invictus Felix Pius...?
ML_Antoninus Pius_Temple of Deified AugustusML-AntoninusPius-Temple of deified Augustus