"Imperial Rome & the Constantinians" Image Contest Spring 2011. ACE tests your students on their Roman Imperial History highlights, with special emphasis on the Constantinian era.
ImpRome n Constantinians Contest Instructions2011
Imperial Rome & the Constantinians Image Contest.
Attached are the Instructions and deadline.
The First EmperorThe First Roman Emperor - click on image for contest questions
1. Here is the first Roman Emperor. a) what name did he use as Emperor? b) what was his known name before becoming Emperor? c) To which very famous Roman was he related? d)What dynasty did he found?
Last of first dynastyClick image for questions
2) This lovely coin shows the last ruler of the first ruling dynasty of Imperial Rome a) who was he? b) who was his predecessor? c) name his first wife; d) name his 2nd wife. e) what musical instrument did he love to play?
ColumnDenClick image for questions
3) This Emperor started a new Dynasty in AD 69. a) what was his name? b) what was the name of his Dynasty? c) A famous amphitheater in Rome was built by this new Dynasty - give the usual one word English name for it.....? d) the reverse of this coin shows a special type of column which was called a ".....?. column".
Dolphin_ AnchorDenWPClick image for questions
4) This coin was minted for the second ruler in the new Dynasty, a) the elder son whose name was....? b) Which famous Holyland city did he capture in AD 70.? c) in his reign there occurred a terrible natural disaster in Southern Italy which destroyed cities - what was it?
WifeOfLastClick image for questions
5) After the death of the first son, the second son took over as Emperor, but was not so popular and was murdered in AD 96. a) What was his name? b) What was the name of his wife who outlived him and who is shown here ? c) what bird is shown on the reverse of this coin? d) To which Roman Goddess was this bird connected?
6) In AD 98, this great general became Emperor. a) who was he ( give his 3 names pls); b) whom did he succeed? c) a famous monument to him still stands in Rome - what is it called? d) He expanded the Roman Empire and conquered a new province in Eastern Europe called....?
w Mythological animal
7) This Emperor travelled extensively throughout the Empire, and built a famous, still existing, stone Wall across the North of England. a) who was he? b) What was the name of his wife? c) When did he die? d) What mythological animal is shown on the reverse of this coin?
e) Did they have any children to inherit?
8) This famous Emperor was also a Philosopher and author. a) what was his name? b)Which preceeding Emperor adopted him?
c) Which Greek Philosophy did he follow? d) What book - still in print - did he write?
DaughterClick on image for questions
9)The women of this period...this image shows the daughter of the Emperor mentioned in the previous question.. a) what was her name? b) Name his wife/ the mother of this daughter? c) Also who was the mother in law of the Emperor mentioned in the previous question. ( Identify your answers to questions b) and c) clearly!)
Unworthy sonClick on image for questions
10)This unworthy son became Emperor after his noble philosopher father - a) who was he? b) He liked to think of himself as the reincarnation of which strong ancient deity? c)What was the name of his wife ( 2 words pls) d) When was he murdered?
S roman Eastern empire spelling of his name ex PautaliaClick on image for questions
11) This successful general became Emperor in AD 193 a) who was he? b)Where was he born? (give city & continent) c) He started a new Dynasty called the .....? Dynasty d) This coin was minted in the Eastern part of the Empire - study the inscription carefully, and say which language was used there? e) When did he die? f) Where did he die - give the Roman name of the city?
DomnaDenObvClick on image for questions
12) This is the wife of the founder of the new Dynasty a) please give her name? b) They had 2 sons - give their names please. c)Name the son who killed his brother right in front of this woman, his mother? d) Who was the last ruler of this dynasty? e) When was he murdered?
TF 02.jpgClick on image to see questions
13) This man was a Roman ruler minting coins from 309 - 313 AD at a time when there was a lot of fighting between rival claimants to the Imperial crown.
Look carefully at the inscriptions and say a) what his name was? and b) who is shown on the reverse of this coin?
Father of Constantine 1
14) This Emperor began the Constantinian Dynasty a) what was his name? b) In what year did this new dynasty begin?
Constantinian RivalClick on image for questions
15) After Constantine the Great's defeat of Maxentius a) at which well known battle....? The Empire was divided between Constantine 1st and the Emperor shown above - b) what was his name? c) He and Constantine co-authored a ruling which confirmed the rights of Christians - what was this called? d) At which battle was he defeated by Constantine and soon thereafter executed.... ?
TF 05.jpgClick to see questions
16) This is Constantine 1st - known as the Great. a) What was the name of his father? b) What was the name of his mother? c) The reverse shows the sun God whom the Romans called .... (1 word)
Constantinian Roma obv
17)This coin was minted as a celebration of the City of Roma. a) In what year was Rome traditionally founded?
18)This famous reverse image denoting the founding of Rome shows a Shewolf. a) What were the names of the two boys that she found and nurtured? b) This coin is known by a special name - please give it (two words) in Latin.
TF 07.jpgClick image to see questions
19) This coin celebrates the founding of a new city by Constantine. a) What was it called? b) It was meant to be the capital of which part of the Roman Empire? c) It was founded at the site of a small Greek City called ...?
d) What Personification is shown standing on a galley prow on the reverse?
TF 08.jpgClick image to see questions
20)Look at this reverse - what sort of coin is this called? (two possible answers, either is correct)
21) Most coins from the Constantinian period had on the reverse the abbreviated name of the mint. a) What is the numismatic term for the area in which this mint name is shown? b) One mint's abbreviated name was "CONS" - give the full name and say when the mint was opened. c) What mint was denoted by the following abbreviation "ALE" d) and what mint by the abbreviation "SMN"?
TF 09.jpgClick to see questions
22) This is the first son of Constantine the Great... a) what is his name? b) who was his mother? c) who was his jealous stepmother? d)when was he killed?
TF 10.jpgClick to see questions
23) This Constantinian coin with its interesting reverse is often a favorite with collectors - what generic name does this type of coin have?
TF 16.jpgClick to see questions
24) After the death of Constantine the Great's first born son, this son became the eldest of Constantine's sons - a)what was his name? b) what was the name of his mother?
c) The reverse of this coin shows the inscription "Gloria Exercitus" - please give the English meaning?
TF 25.jpgClick on image for question
25) This is Constantine the Great's youngest son. a) What was his name? b) He ruled which half of the Empire(Western or Eastern?)..... c) In AD 350, while he was in Gaul, he heard that one of his generals had revolted against him and joined by the legions, had been proclaimed Emperor, who was that general? d) So Constantine the Great's youngest son fled, but what happened to him?
ConstantiusIIAEObvClick Image for questions
26) This is Constantius II, son of Constantine the Great. a) Was he a Christian? ( Yes or No). b) Which usurping Emperor, did he defeat in 353 AD, which left him as sole Emperor...?
c) To help him in his task, he raised two relatives to the rank of "Caesar" - please give both their names.
TF 36.jpgClick for questions
27) This coin was minted by Constantius II. a) Was he the longest living of Constantine the Great's sons (Yes or No)? b) The reverse shows a Roman soldier killing a barbarian enemy who is falling from his horse... this is a well known coin, please give the 3 part Latin inscription given on this reverse ( 3 words partly abbreviated)
TF 42.jpgClick for questions
28) a) Who is this general who was proclaimed Emperor by his troops and ruled part of the Empire from 350-353 AD ? b) Where was he defeated by Constantius II in September 351 AD? c) How did he die in 353 AD?
Constantius GallusAE Obv
29) The man shown on this coin is Constantius Gallus...a) what relative was he to Constantius II? b) in 351 he was given the rank of Caesar, when he was made Governor of the Eastern Provinces, from which city did he rule? c) in what year was he put to death? d) What Greek language letter is behind this Emperor's bust...?
30) This coin shows the last of the Constantinian dynasty rulers. a) What was his name? b)What type of religion did he favor? c)In what year did he die?