Nov 2011 Scott's Pottery Teacher Contest
Intro : Please read the instructions and then read about the Pottery which Scott, who collects artifacts as well as coins, has kindly donated.
Pottery Romano Germanic background
Some information on the pottery pieces.
Durham UniEx collection Durham
1) This lovely pottery is from the Durham collection. Though this was found in England, this type of pottery was popular over the Western provinces of the Empire. a) It is recognizable by its color and is called.....( 6 letters) ware. b) In which Roman province was this pottery made?
Porta Negra 1800s
2)The Roman pottery in the winning prizes was found in present day Germany. a) in which German city does the Roman building called the " Porta Negra" still exist...? b) what was the Roman name for the city....? c) What did the Romans call Paris ....?
3)This is a coin of the Emperor Augustus -the reverse shows priestly implements. Please name them from left to right
a).....? b) ....? c) ......? d) What was the Emperor's religious title ( 2 Latin words).
MarcB nice portrait coin
4)This Emperor succeeded the Emperor Trajan. a) what was his name? b)When was he born? c) What was the name of his wife? d) Did he have any children? ( Yes or No) e)He built a huge wall cross the northernmost border of which Roman Province?
5)This eternal image of Rome illustrates its legendary founding...a) what animal is depicted? b)what were the names of the babies shown ( ..... and ......)? c) Who found them being nurtured by the animal? d) which child eventually lived on to become the first King of Rome?
6)The end of an era which dated back beyond Alexander the Great is shown on the reverse of this coin.....a) It commemmorates the Roman conquest of which province? b) What was the name of its surrendered King, shown here with his two sons?
her wise husband
7) a)This Empress was the wife of a philosophical Emperor called ....? b) What was the name of the philosophy which the Emperor embraced......? c) What was the name of the famous book he wrote which one can still buy.....?
Rep 42bc Only the Romans
8) This marvellous Roman Republican coin commemmorates the Roman Public Sewer system...a) what was the name for it? ( 2 Latin words) b) which Roman deity was connected with it?
9)This Emperor succeeded the Emperor Hadrian... a) who was he? b) What was the name of his wife? c) He built a wall north of his predecessor's in what is now Scotland - was it built of stone? ( answer Yes or No).....
10) The obverse of this coin shows an Usurper from the North West of the Roman Empire. a) What was his name? b) In which province was he declared Emperor....? c) he succeeded another Usurper whose name was.......?
WSThose Roman Columns
11)This Roman column was built for an "adoptive" Emperor on whose coin, it is shown.. a) who was he....? b) He was devoted to his wife who after her death was named " Diva"... what was her name? c) An earlier Roman Emperor also had a famous column built, one of the major sights in Rome even today... who was he? d) his particular column commemmorated his victories in which province...?
12) This early Emperor built the Macellum shown on the reverse of this coin a) to which Dynasty did he belong? b) what is the rough translation / meaning of the word Macellum? c) He also built a famous palace called the .....? He was the last of his Dynasty, after him d) who first took over as Emperor ...? e) who followed next...? f)the third Emperor marched on Rome and seized power for a short time, his name was ....?
13) In AD 69 - the so called "Year of the 4 Emperors", by December, Vespasian was the victorious Emperor. a) he founded which Dynasty? b) Who succeeded him as Emperor....? c) What is the full name ( two words) of the famous building erected by this dynasty and still central to Rome..?
14) This Roman Republican coin depicts a part of early Roman History. a) Before the Roman Republic, the ruler of Rome was called a ...? b) Who is shown on the obverse of this Republican denarius? c) The reverse shows an episode where an allegedly treacherous woman was thrown to death from the .......? Rocks.
15) The Emperor who minted this coin was the son of a founder of a new Roman Imperial Dynasty, who murdered his younger brother in front of his mother.... a) who was he? b) what was the name of the Dynasty? c) what was the name of the brother he murdered? d) what was the name of the last Emperor of this Dynasty ( two words) ?
16) This Emperor succeeded his father of the same name...a) give a) his full name; b)Give the name of his mother, the Empress. The father had defeated Gordian III.... What was the name c)of Gordian III's wife...; d) in what year did Gordian III die?
AntPius Early Science Myth
17) This Antoninus Pius medallion celebrates a happening in Rome long before the Imperium. a) who does the recumbent figure represent? b) The Greek deity to which this was dedicated was the God of ....? c) where exactly was this traditionally known to have happened?