Early Roman Times Intro
Early Roman Times Image Contest - Dec 2011 - Intro
What a welcome
1) The reverse of this beautiful Republican coin shows the long-lost legendary hero being greeted by his dog on his return.... a)who is he...(give his Roman name)..? b) Give also the more Greek version of his name ....? c) What is the name of his dog.....? d) Which Roman poet wrote about him...? e) The Roman poet based his story on the works of a famous ancient Greek, called ....? f) This legend invokes the claim of certain ancient Roman families to have descended from those who fled which city....?
2) This marvellous bronze was excavated in the northern half of the Italian peninsula. In the very earliest history of Rome, one influence stands out.. to the North of Rome, a) there was the civilisation which we know as .....? b) Did these people speak Latin ... Yes/No? c) What is the name of the mythological bronze animal depicted......?
3) This coin commemorates the founding of Rome. a) what is the legendary date for this...? b) what animal is shown here....? c) What are the names of the 2 babies shown...?
d) What is the name of the person who discovered them...? e) what was his occupation....? f)who was the survivor of the two children...?
4) This Roman Republican coin depicts a part of early Roman History. a) Before the Roman Republic, the ruler of Rome was called a ...? b) Who is shown on the obverse of this Republican denarius? c) The reverse shows an episode where a treacherous woman was thrown to death from the .......? Rocks. d) to which other power had she betrayed Rome...?
5) This beautiful reverse of an early coin was minted in the Southern part of Italy, then not occupied by the Romans, but colonized by others...a) what language did they speak?
b) what was the generic name for these colonies .. ( 2 words)..? This coin was minted on the Eastern side of Sicily.... c) in what city...? There were also colonies on the Southern Italian mainland..d) what is the Italian name for the city of Taras ....?
6) In the Roman Forum, there stand the remains of a Temple dedicated to a)....? and Pollux. b) By what joint name are they known.....? c) When did Rome become a Republic...?
7 a) What is the name of the goddess shown on this coin... she is neither Roman nor Greek (5 letters).....? b) Other civilisations existed around the Mediterranean basin, this one originated at the Eastern end, and was called ......?
8) The civilisation/empire referred to above, first expanded to North Africa and became a rival of Rome's...a) what was it called - the..?..Empire ? b) give the name of the legendary Queen of its North African capital ....? c) into which island did its influence and control extend....? d)which peninsula did it also colonize....? e) the wars between this empire and Rome were called the ..? ...Wars. f) When Cato declared "Cartago delenda est", which Roman general actually destroyed this enemy city in 146 BCE...?
9) a) To which " two faced" deity was this building dedicated ...............? b) it had doors at both ends, when these doors were closed, it signified what ( 1 word) ?
10) The end of an era which dated back beyond Alexander the Great is shown on the reverse of this coin.....a) It commemmorates the Roman conquest of which province? b) In what year? c) What was the name of its surrendered King, shown here with his two sons?
11) Towards the end of the Roman Republic, there were many warring factions and power struggles. a)This General and Consul, opened up army enlistment to the propertyless classes, and instigated the " standing army" - his name was (2 words) ...? b)Through his efforts, veteran soldiers who had completed their requisite service, were given grants in the conquered provinces - grants of what...?
c) how many times was he elected Consul...) d) Into which old and venerable Roman family did he marry.......?
e) one talented young soldier who had fought under him in the Numidian war, later became his rival and enemy, who was he....?
12) This Roman general was known as " the Great" a) who was he..? b) He formed the 1st Triumvirate with Julius Caesar,but who was the third member of it?
Rep Only the Romans
13) This marvellous Roman Republican coin commemmorates the Roman Public Sewer system...a) what was the name for it? ( 2 Latin words) b) which Roman deity was connected with it... ( two words)?
14) This is Julius Caesar.... a) when was he born...? b) He wrote famously about his war of conquest in which province....? c) when he returned to Rome before he took power; contravening the existing laws, he brought his army across a significant river, which river ...?
15) This coin was minted because of an assassination....a) who was killed... ? b) when was he killed ( give exact date)..? c) What is this date known colloquially as....? d) in which province did the killers mint the coin...?
16) This famous silver coin is known as a Legionary Denarius. a) Who minted it ? b) It was of course to pay soldiers, etc, prior to the Battle of ...........?
c)When did that battle take place? d) Who won that battle?
17) An amazing defeat of Roman legions by the so-called "barbarians" ... a) This statue in Germany commemorates the " barbarian" leader called .. ? b) Where did this battle take place ... 2 words..? c) when did this battle take place...? d) What was the name of the Roman commander of the defeated legions?
Porta Negra 1800s
18) a) in which German city does the Roman building called the " Porta Negra" still exist...? b) what was the Roman name for the city....( 2 words)? c) What did the Romans call Paris ....? d) what did the Romans later call the city of York in England?
19) This is an engraving of an early Roman temple called the Pantheon..... a) The Emperor Hadrian altered and enlarged it, but who first commissioned it....? b) Was it dedicated to any special god or goddess Yes/No ? c) Does it still exist...?
20) A horrific natural disaster took place South of Rome a) what was the name of the volcano which erupted...?
b) when did this happen.....? c)give the name ( in English)of a Roman town beginning with "H" which was destroyed.....?
d) Who was the Roman Emperor at the time.... ?