AD193 & Severans RomHist VI due 16March
Roman History Part VI - Contest. AD 193 - the 5 Emperors, and the Severan Dynasty. Contest due 16th March 2012 - 85 questions
Roman History - part VI - Contest
After the murder of Commodus, we delve into the year AD 193, when there were no less than 5 contenders for the Imperium; and thereafter the Severan Dynasty.
1)After the murder of Commodus right at the end of AD 192, this General shown on the coin became Emperor, but although he was widely considered a responsible and fair man, his reign was short as he disappointed his soldiers. 1a) How many days did he reign? 1b) In what town was he born.... (2 words) 1c) what was his profession before he became a soldier? 1d)what official position in the City of Rome did he hold at the death of Commodus...? 1e)What date was he murdered..?
HeraklesMSWDJ_JwPWife of very short reign Emperor of ill fame
2) After the murder of the above Emperor, because with an empty treasury, he did not give the troops all the money they wanted, there took place a shameful situation called colloquially "The Auction of the Empire". a) Who won this so-called auction and became the next Emperor.....? ( 2 words) b)How much did he offer the troops? ( give amount and denomination) c) Shown on this coin is the wife of this second AD 193 Emperor... give her name ?(2 words) d) Shown on the reverse of this coin is Juno - what sort of bird is depicted?
from the East
3) A general and Governor, this man was the third contender for Emperor, and acclaimed as such by his troops in AD 193 a) What was his name ?(2 words) b)of what Eastern Roman Province had he been Governor?... c) He was however defeated in several battles, by another Governor, who had by then won Imperial power in Rome... who was that? ( 2 words) d) His last battle / defeat took place at a site made famous by Alexander the Great - name the site of this last battle....?
4)This general served with great distinction and in AD 193 was Governor of Britannia a) Give his full name (4 words) b) What position/title ( 1 word) was he offered and accepted?... c) However, the offer was reneged upon and he was declared a Public Enemy, although his troops had proclaimed him Emperor,so he fought but he was defeated...where was he defeated ( give Latin and English name). d) Give the date of his defeat....?
5) This statue shows the ultimate winner of the Imperial Crown who was born in Leptis Magna a) Pls give his full name ( 3 words) b) In which modern day country can Leptis Magna be found? c) Of what province was he Governor before the struggle for the Imperial crown... ( 2 words) ?
Great Beginning but Sad End
6) This is his intelligent wife, with whom he founded a new Dynasty. a) what was she called... ( 2 words)? b) In which city was his Empress born? c) in which Roman province was that? d) She was given the honorary title which translates as " Mother of the Camp" - please give the correct Roman ( Latin) title ( 2 words).
7) On this coin the Emperor and founder of the new Dynasty is shown. On the reverse of the coin a famous mythological tale of a lion being killed is depicted...a) who is the "mythological victorious Hero" killing the lion? b) where did this happen ( name a town)?
8) This can still be seen in Italy today ( though shown is an 18th Century engraving of it). a) It is called " The ...... of ...... ......." ? ( 3 words total needed) b) in which city would you see it..? c)By substantially increasing their pay and their rights, this Emperor greatly augmented both the power and the size of which instrument of Imperial power....the ( 2 words)?
9) Constructed on the Palatine Hill by the founding Emperor of the new Severan Dynasty in AD 203, was a famous building no longer there - of which this late 16th Century engraving shows part. One sees the various stories/levels .. a) it was called the ...... ( 1 word)? Its main features were b) ......? ( 1 plural word); and c)........? (1 word) deities.
10) Later in his reign,having earlier on travelled considerably, the Emperor visited Britannia, where there were troubles in the north. a) which long defensive construction did he repair while there... ( 2 words) ? b) which earlier Emperor had originally had it erected? c) In which city did the Emperor die .. give the Roman name? d) when did he die?
e) how old was he at the time of this death?
11) Nowadays operas and concerts are given in these ruins which still stand in Rome. a) Although started by Septimius, what was the original building called? (The..... of ......... b) Using enormous size and great technical ( for the time) innovations, this building could handle roughly how many users at a time...?
Son Eastern language
12) a)When this future ruler, known colloquially as "Caracalla", was made Caesar, his " official name became ....... (3 words)? b) In what year was he officially made "Caesar".....? c) He was called "Caracalla" because he liked to wear a long cloak/gown from which country....? d) He debased the currency creating a new denomination which weighed less than it was intrinsically worth called the.........(1 word) ? e) He did however pass a new law which gave the rights of Roman citizenship in the Empire to all free man - this Roman law was called... (2 words)?
13) The dying Emperor Septimius had arranged for his two sons to rule the new dynasty that he had founded jointly. However the elder son could not stand to share any power with his younger brother, and so he murdered him. a) Who was the murderer? b) Who was killed? c) In front of what relative of theirs did this supposedly take place? d) What was the name of the murdering Emperor's wife.... (1 word) ?
14) At death of her remaining son, the old Empress ( wife of Septimius, the dynasty founder, committed suicide. a) how did her remaining ruling son die? b) When did he die? c) How did she kill herself?
15) This man, who became the next Emperor for a short while, was complicit in the murder of Caracalla, his predecessor above. a) What position did he hold at the time of that murder ( 2 words) ? b) What was his name?
14 monthsheirMarc B
16) He ruled for 14 months, this coin shows him with his son and heir - a) whose name was..? b) Who is depicted on the reverse of this coin?
17) This is the sister of the first Empress in the Severan Dynasty a) what is her name ( 2 words)? b)She conspired to gain the reinstatement of her family's power and dynasty against the Emperor who had taken over, in AD 218 which led to his defeat.... how did he die? c) What also happened to that Emperor's son.
18) a)This mother of the next Emperor with the restoration of the Severan Dynasty was called ( 2 words) ? b) what relation was she to the first Empress of the Severan Dynasty...?
19) Thanks to the great efforts of his grandmother and mother, this depraved, and deranged man became the next Roman Emperor. They had spread the rumor that he was the "natural" son of the second Emperor of the Dynasty, Caracalla. a)what was this new Emperor's birth name( 3 words)? b)Then what was his " official" name as Emperor ( also 3 words)..?
20) This next Emperor was debauched, delusional and a fanatical worshipper of the Syrian Sun God, as was his mother. a) What is the one name that he is known by....? b)This is a gold coin, which denomination is called an (1 word)? c)As shown on the reverse, he had a famous meteorite religious symbol brought to Rome from what city in Syria.... ( 1 word)? d) to whom is the reverse inscription dedicated -- to the " (4 words)" ?
21) Here is shown the new Emperor's his first wife - a) her name was .......( 2 words)?. He had two other wives, one of whom, he married TWICE
b)name the one he married twice..... ( 2 words)
c)name his other wife.... ( 2 words)?
d)Give the name ( 2 words) of the wife who had been a Vestal Virgin...... ?
Imperial4main col templepenult
22) a)When was this disastrous Emperor murdered....? b) which member of his family was also murdered with him....? c) What was done with their bodies...?
d) On the reverse, what type of temple is shown..( 1 word)?
with War image
23) The next Emperor was the last of the Severan Dynasty... a) what was his name ( 2 words) ? b) What relation was he to the previously murdered Emperor...? c) he is shown here with the God of War on the reverse of the coin... what was the Roman name of the God of War ?
24)Here he is shown with his mother, who had great influence over him, which the army did not like. a) give her name...(2 words)?
b) what is shown on the reverse of the coin..?
c) He enlarged and extended the famous Baths originally built by which pleasure-loving Julio-Claudian Emperor... (1 name) ?
25) This coin was minted by this last Emperor of the Severan Dynasty. a) in which city was it minted... (1 word) ? .
b)On the reverse of the coin, besides the name of the minting city, are shown what military items... ( 1 plural word)?
26) There was a lot of unrest in the Empire, and the last of the Severans was not a talented general. He attempted to
"buy off" the enemy on the Rhine a) What was the name of this barbarian tribe.... (1 word)? However, his soldiers mutined and proclaimed one of their senior officers as the new Emperor b) his name was ......(1 word) c) When was the last Severan Emperor was killed? d) which member of his family was put to death also...... ?