Thru the Ancient World w Coins Contest image
The last Contest of the Ancient Coins for Education 2011 - 2012 Academic Year
Click to enlarge and read the Contest instructions and deadline for your school winners.
1) This shows one of the very earliest of coins minted in Lydia. In 546BC King Cyrus (of Persia) defeated the king of Lydia, a) what was his name? b) what was the name of the dynasty which ruled in Lydia before Cyrus invaded it? c) What mineral was found in Lydia, which made people call their King " the richest man in the world".
2) This very early silver coin was issued by a dynasty that ruled Persia ( modern day Iran)... a) what is the plural name of such coins? b) what was the name of the dynasty which ruled Persia and minted the coins? c) There was a famous "Royal Road" built across the Persian lands - at which city on the Western-most end did it stop.?
3) This is an early coin showing Athena. The ancient Greeks fought several wars with Persia, the regional megapower to the East, whose King attacked them at the battle of Marathon....a) when did this take place? b) who won? c) What was the name of the Persian ruler? d) What was the name of the Greek general?
4) a) This famous owl was minted ( on the reverse of a coin)issued by which Greek city state? Circa 480 BC, the Persians again attacked the Greeks.. b) who was the Persian ruler then? c) Another famous Greek city state sent help to the Athenians,and is honored for it to this day.. which Greek city State ? d) a famous battle in which they took a major part slowing down the invaders,happened at.......?
e) The Greek side eventually won a decisive sea battle at ?
f) in what year?
5) This is the well known coin representation of Alexander the Great. a) who was his father? b) of which country was his father ruler? c) Alexander is depicted here on the coin obverse wearing a lionskin on his head - to which ancient mythological hero does this connect him? d) on the reverse is shown the mythological ruler of the Gods, give his Greek name....? e) what bird is he shown as holding? f) Where in Greece is the legendary " home of the Gods"?
6) Here is an inscription " B A" on the reverse of this bronze coin...a) For what do these two letters stand ? ( two words = B.......A...... = 2 points b)in 333BC, Alexander won a battle against thePersians,at .........? c) Then he defeated them again at Gaugamela in what year? d) What was the name of the Persian king whom he defeated?
7) This coin comes from Abdera a) what is the name of the mythological animal that it depicts? b) In what ancient province/state was Abdera located? c) Name a famous mythological creature which was part horse but swam in the sea?
8) After his death, Alexander's Empire was split between his leading companions/generals - a)they were known as the "...." (1 word).? This coin shows a ruler of one of the resulting Kingdoms which included Syria ..b) what was this Kingdom's dynasty called? c) This particular Dynasty member whose rule ended in 246 BC - was called? ( give name and number) On the reverse is shown Apollo... d) give the classical name for the item on which Apollo is seated. e) Many years later which other famous classical Mediterranean power conquered the last remains of this Kingdom..? f) And in which year?
Thanks to CNG
9) This beautiful coin portrays a ruler of Macedon ( after Alexander), who was known for his beseiging of cities a) what was his name ( 2 words) b) who is shown on the reverse of the coin? (give Greek name) c) what is he holding that reveals who he is?
10) The wife of the ruler of Egypt is shown here on a coin minted from 246 thru 222BC a) What is her name? b) what was the name of her husband, the ruling King? (Since they both have common family names, give also the specific number of that name which specifies them.) c) Give the name of the Dynasty? d) what is depicted on the reverse of the coin? e) Also on the reverse is an unusual thing ( not the inscription) ....?
230BC Ancient hat from afar
11) This marvellous hat in shown on the head of the ruler of a far eastern kingdom which was once part of Alexander's empire. a) What was the name of this particular kingdom? b)what is this hat called. c) look at the reverse carefully and give the name of the King who ruled there in 230 BC?
12) This reverse of a Roman Republican silver coin portrays a Boar... there are two famous Boars which form part of mythology and are shown on Roman Republican coins. a) They are ... (2 names needed for 2 points). b) what is this silver coin called...?
300-264 BC Beautiful deity w animal
13) This coin dates back to around 300-264BC. a) What is the name of the Goddess shown on the obverse?.. ( not a Roman). b) The power that minted the coin had several colonies around the Mediterranean,this coin comes from the North African famous colony/city, called ? c)what was the name of the place where this culture, language, etc "originated".? This coin's city was at one time a rival to Republican Rome... d) name its most famous general.? e) Name the Roman general who finally defeated this rival power.
14) This Roman Republican coin depicts the Goddess of the Harvest a) she was known as ....? b) on the reverse is shown a special type of Roman chair, called ....?
15) In the period towards the end of the Roman Republic, there were various civil wars and changing coalitions.... 3 famous names which stand out are Marius, Sulla and Pompey. a) which one is depicted on this coin? b) which one was nominated as Consul the most times?.. and c) How many times was he Consul?
16) This reverse of a very famous Roman coin was minted a)to commemmorate the murder of.......(2 words) b) which took place when? c) Where was the coin minted?
17) The reverse of this coin minted by Augustus depicts a famous place known from much earlier history. a) What does it show? b) What was the mythological "creature" associated with it? c)From which earlier culture is this known - the ? culture.
from which province
18) This coin shows the head of Augustus a) give his originally used name before he became the 1st Roman Emperor. b) Name the man shown with him on the obverse, who was the architect of nearly all Augustus' victories.... c) This coin was minted in Nemasus - in which province was that...?
19) This depicts an Emperor of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty who was so deranged that he proclaimed his favorite horse a Roman Consul... a) what was the full name of this Emperor ( 2 words) and the name we know him by ( 1 word) ?
b) what was the name of his horse? c) who succeeded him as the next Emperor?
20) This coin is Greek but it depicts a famous musical instrument.... a) what it is called? b) which of the original "major" Greek deities is often depicted with this instrument? c) Which later famous Julio Claudian Emperor also played this instrument?
21) This Emperor ruled for only a short period during a period of unrest - a) give his full name ( 3 words). b) in what year/s did he rule? This period of unrest was between longer lasting dynasties c) Prior to the unrest, it was the ...... Dynasty which had left no direct heirs ( 2 words)?
22) Here you see a Denarius from the third and last ruler of a major Roman Dynasty a) Who was this Emperor? b) the Dynasty was known as the (1 word)? c) on the reverse is a mythological winged horse called ....? d)During the rule of this Dynasty a famous building, still existing in Rome, was constructed - give its common (1 word)name? e) a "natural" disaster also took place South of Rome, this was the .... of ...... ( 3-4 words)
f) when did this happen?
23) On this coin minted by Trajan, the reverse shows a)which mythological hero? b) he is holding a club in one hand, but what is he holding in the other? c) Which Emperor ruled before Trajan? d) Give Trajan's full name ( 3 words) e) in recognition of the conquest of which province was a still standing column erected by Trajan in Rome?
24) This Emperor's wife was Sabina a) Who is he? b) In what year was he born? c)Were any heirs born to them? ( Y or N) d) What mythological animal is shown on the coin reverse?
25) This is the reverse of a coin minted by Emperor Antoninus Pius. It shows one of the Wonders of the Ancient World...a) What is the name of this wonder? ( use the ancient word pls) b) Where was it situated? c) another Ancient "Wonder" was in Rhodes, it was called the ....? d)A Mausoleum was also considered as an "ancient Wonder", where was it located? ( give both place name and state for 2 points).
26) This shows the Empress wife of a famous Stoic Emperor a) give her name? b) Give his name? c) Give the title of the famous book he wrote?
27) Another dynasty was started by a general and Emperor, who died in York ( in Britannia) a) give the Latin name of this city of York in which that Emperor died. This coin shows his son, the next ruler, who murdered his own younger Brother....b) who was the murdering ruler on this coin? c) shown here on the reverse are two bulls pulling a chariot... what is the Latin word when 2 animals pull a vehicle? d) In this dynasty, there were many powerful women who had the same first name, which was? ( just the 1 word). e) what was the name of the dynasty?
28) This young Emperor was the third of his name... a) what was it?
b) What was the name of his wife shown on the coin? c) After he was murdered, a man known as " the Arab" became the next Emperor, what was the full name of this successor?
29) This coin shows the most famous Emperor of the mainly Christian Dynasty which ruled during the first third of the 4th Century.... a) who is shown here? b) What is the building shown on the reverse known as? c) At which battle did he supposedly see a Christian symbol in the sky... the battle of ....... ( 2 words) d) which of his sons did he kill? e) for 3 points, correctly name his other 3 sons. f) The last ruler of this Dynasty tried to revert the religion back to Paganism - what was his name?
30) Here we move to a later time / to a coin of Justinian - after the Fall of the Western Roman Empire. a)Justinian on this coin was an early ruler over what is called the ........ ( 1 word) Empire. b)This Eastern Empire broke with the Western Christian church centered in Rome and adopted which branch of Christianity? c) the famous capital of this Eastern Empire was...? d) in what year was it besieged and sacked by Western European " Latin" Crusaders ...? e)This conquest was called " the (2 words)? f) This Latin stewardship did not last long.. before reverting to the original Greek rulers, but less than 200 years after that this famous capital was conquered by the forces of Islam in what year ?