Roman Facts and Legends Instructions
Roman Facts & Legends - Instructions
Shepherd Shewolf TreeThis fascinating Republican coin
1) This coin reverse shows the legendary founding of Rome. Please give the following: a)the names of the Twins that the Shewolf has saved? ( Two names) b) the name of the shepherd who found them? c) the image shows birds in a tree - what sort of tree was this? d) Which twin survived to become the first ruler of Rome ?
2)This coin also depicts the Shewolf and twins and was minted in the Constantinian era (circa 330 AD). What year was the " traditional legendary" date for the founding of Rome? ( give a number) b) Was this BC or AD?
3) Certain Roman families "claimed" a legendary origin ( referring back to Homer) which is referred to on this coin..... a) The coin shows the hero - he is carrying his father whose name is ? b) When fleeing, he also took his son who was called ...? c) From which city did they flee .? d) What else (not his son) is he carrying... as shown on this coin?
4) Another link to this claim is shown here a) what denomination is this silver coin? b) You will see that the edges are not fully rounded.. so what is this type of coin called? c) Was this coin minted under the Roman Emperors? ( Yes or No) d) The coin shows the return home of which person? e) Give the name of his home? f) He is greeted by his old dog - what is the dog's name? )
TTRocksDashed on the rocks
5) An incident from early Roman history ( part mythologized of course) comes to light here. a) Name the person whose head you see on the coin obverse. b) was the man allegedly an Emperor or a King? c)of which group of people was he supposedly the ruler? d) Give the name of the treacherous woman shown on the reverse of the coin.
6) This beautiful early coin comes from Velia. a) Which Goddess is shown on the obverse? b)What was the name of the general area around Velia? c) Which peoples originally colonised this area? d) Because of them, that whole part of Southern Italy was known as what ? ( 2 words)
Rival_Empire? Early Rival Empire
7) This map shows an earlier rival of Rome's for power in the Mediterranean. a) what was the name of this power? b) This rival controlled land not only in North Africa, but also ruled over parts of other lands, the names of both of which begin with an "S" - please name them both (S and S.) c) Name the most famous general of this rival power? d) which range of high mountsins did he cross in order to invade Roman lands? e) What was the generic name of the wars between the two powers? f) Give the name of the Roman general who finally destroyed this rival power.....
PolluxAnd these two?
8) A temple in the Roman Forum was dedicated to the two shown on this coin - one was Pollux - a) what was the name of the second? b) What was the inclusive name by which the pair were known? c) What was the Roman name of the "King of the Gods"...? d) Who was the Roman God of War...? e) The Roman " Huntress Goddess"was ....?
Daily life in Rome
9) A few facts of daily life.... a) what is this Roman chair called....? b) What were Roman "apartment blocks" called..? c) (n the Roman baths, they also used oils, and a scraper- type object to remove excess oil... what was this called? d) One heating system used by the Romans consisted of hot air circulating under the floor of the room - this was known as a ...? e) the major sewer in
Rome was called the ?
ConsulGeneralfromArpinumMarried into famous family
10) a) This is a famous General, born in the mid 2nd century BC, who reformed the Roman Army - what was his name? (give just one word name) b)Where was he from? c) Into which famous family did he marry? d) How many times was he elected Consul...? e) Give the 3 word name of another General, who fought under him in Numidia,but later opposed and fought against him, and assumed dictatorial powers.
called_TheGreatCalled the Great
11) This man was a famous Roman General, who was known as " the Great" ...a) what was his main recognizable name? b) He fought against and defeated a famous King on the Eastern side of the Mediterranean - this foreign king was ...? c)he held power in the First Triumvirate... who were the other 2 members of the First Trimumvirate ? d) He fought in the Civil War but was defeated at which battle?
12) a) On what day, do we still remember " Eid Mar" ? b)What do we call that date generically in English? c) Who is shown on the obverse of this coin? d) This coin was not minted in Rome - in which province was it minted?
Legionary_DenariusMLAll those ships defeated
13) This coin is called a " Legionary Denarius". a) It is connected mainly with a famous battle - which battle?. Give the names of the adversaries..b) on one side was a well known leader, supported by a foreign queen - give both their names. c) Against them fought the future Roman Emperor ( give his name when he became Emperor) and that of his famous general - give both their names?
14) This engraving shows a Temple in Rome. a) it is the temple dedicated to a two faced deity, who was ....?
b) it is often to be seen on the coins of the last Julio-Claudian Emperor - who was he? c) The doors to this temple have special significance - when Rome was at peace, the doors to this temple were...?
15) The written and spoken word: a) which famous Roman poet who re-told a famous work by Homer, is shown in this mosaic? b) Which Roman poet was exiled to Tomi by the Emperor Augustus...? c) A famous Roman historian came from Padua - who was he? d) Which Roman wrote " Lives of the Twelve Caesars? e)With whom did his book start...? f) Who was the last Emperor in his book ...?
OctaviannARchwQuadrigaLster famous as
16) This coin shows the man who later became the First Emperor of Rome - a) what was his original name? b) What relation was he to Julius Caesar..? c) Name his famous wife, who outlived this first Emperor...? d) What was the name of her son from her prior marriage...?
And his horse
17) This is a Roman Emperor in the 1st century AD who was known for his depravity and insanity - a) what was the name that he is known by? (1 word). He named one of his favorite horses as a Consul - b) what was the horse's name?
c) Who was Emperor before him? d) What year did he succeed that Emperor? e)In what year was he murdered?
18) The reverse of this lovely coin shows the port used for the city of Rome - a) please give its name? b) Name the famous river which flowed through Rome. c) Who is the Emperor who minted this coin? d) This Emperor built a famous palace in Rome called....?(2 words Latin or English)
UnexpectedDisasterUnexpected early Empire disaster #2
19) This engraving shows a site where a major volcanic disaster occurred. a) under which Emperor did the disaster happen? b) to which dynasty did he belong? c) what year did this happen?