"Ir is not all Latin" Image Contest - May 2013
Early Roman enemy
1)This coin shows a famous general, who was the best known leader of a series of wars fought against the Romans. a) give his name. b) give the name of the empire for whom he fought. c) In which Middle Eastern country did their culture originate? d)What was the name of these wars? e) How many were there? f)Name an island where this power conquered about half the territory? g) give the name of the Roman general who eventually defeated them?
which country was defeated
2) The reverse of this coin shows the ruler of another country, (reigned over many years before by Philip II,) defeated by the Romans with his 2 sons a) Which Country was defeated? b) At which battle? c) In what year? d) which King was defeated at that time?
3) This man was a famous Roman general, who was living at the time of Julius Caesar - a) what was his name? b) what was the name of his wife? c) he was in the first triumvirate with Caesar - who was the third member? d) At which battle was he defeated by Julius Caesar? e) in what country was he murdered?
4) This ruler was a famous Greek king, who was eventually defeated by the Roman general shown in the previous question # 3. a) What was his name? b) Over which kingdom did he originally rule? c) What number king of that name and that country was he? d) One of his early conquests was a country connected with the Golden Fleece - give its name? e) How did he die?
5) a)Into how many parts did this Roman general divide Gaul? b) Who wrote "De Bello Gallico" (most of it)
c) Which Gallic leader was defeated at Alesia?
Give the names of the Roman Provinces in Southern Gaul: d) the west-most province e) the southern central province; f) the East-most province to the North of the Italian peninsula.
had 2 famous lovers
6) This famous Queen had 2 famous Roman lovers. a) give her name b) What country did she rule? c) what number Queen of that name and country was she? d) Who were her brothers and original co-rulers of that country - give their names and the numeral behind the names. e) Was she alive at the same time as the general in question 3 above ? ( Y or N). f) who was her first famous Roman lover g) What was their child together called? ( give Latin & Egyptian names) h) Who was her second famous Roman lover? i) At which battle were their troops defeated? j)When did that battle take place? k) give the name of the particular general who engineered their defeat? l) give the name of the Roman leader, for whom this general acted, and whom he was meant to succeed. ( give 2 names - both his pre-Imperial and Imperial name.)
Celtic coins ( British)
7) a) Which Roman Emperor officially conquered Britannia? b) In what year? c)when the native Britons revolted against the Romans, who led them? d) Give the name of the British tribe that this person led? Give the Latin names of 2 major cities which were destroyed in this revolt? e) Colchester f) St Albans g) Which Roman Legion was destroyed in this revolt. h) Which Roman general finally put down the revolt? .
8)This Emperor founded a new dynasty after the Julio-Claudians ..a) give the name of the last Julio-Claudian ruler? b) Give the name of this Emperor? c) give the name of his dynasty? d) On the reverse side of this coin is shown a special type of column called.... ? e) what do the side protuberances on the column represent?
Son who also ruled
9)This is the next Emperor after #8 above.... a) what is his name b) how is he related to #8 above. c) this obverse shows an elephant - what other animal is shown on his coins together with her young?
10) the image on the reverse of this coin shows a) the capture of which province? b) Which famous city was captured? c) when was it captured? d) By whom was it captured e)This coin was minted during which Dynasty?
11) This Emperor defeated a Dacian king in his wars a) what was the name of that Dacian king b) What was the name of this Emperor shown on the coin. c) the reverse of this coin shows a goat, but a goat from where?
12) Here on another coin are both another Emperor and different column. a) give the name of this Emperor? b)On this column are depicted Roman conquest scenes of which province? c) Does this column still exist? ( Y or N)
13) a) Give the name of the Emperor who ruled " before" the rule of this famous Emperor and general ? b) Over which river did the Emperor shown build this bridge?
surrounded by conquest trophies
14) This shows the Emperor and his trophies indicating battles won. He had considerable success in the East, and after Dacia, he subdued several far Eastern provinces,including Armenia, and a) also one furthest East which allowed him to claim the title "?" b) in which province did he die?
15) The next Emperor was called a) ? ( give his full 3 word names) b) what mythological animal was shown on the reverse?
Emperor on horseback greeting soldiers
16) This is a coin of the same Emperor, who travelled through the Empire and did much building... a) where did he build a famous Wall which still exists? b) in his reign there was a revolt in Judaea named after its leader. (2 words)?
17) Just over a half century after the Emperor shown above, a new dynasty was founded.... a) It was called...? b) Who was the Emperor who founded it? c) where was he born? d) where did he die? ( give the Latin name)
18) About another half century later, a Roman Emperor was captured by a foreign ruler a) who was the Roman Emperor? b) who was the foreign ruler? c) Over which ancient Empire did he rule? d) what was the name of his dynasty?
e) what sort of altar is shown on the reverse of this coin?
19) This ruler first recognised Christianity as an official religion a) Give his full name ( 3 words) b) who was his father? c) who was his mother? d) However, which two Roman deities were still shown on his coins? ( X and Y)
20) This coin showing on its reverse a barbarian rider defeated by a Roman soldier was issued by the longest ruling son of Constantine the Great....a) who was? b) give the Latin inscription on the reverse of this coin which roughly translates as " the Return of Happy Times"
21) This Constantinian relative wished to go back to the worship of the old pagan gods...a) what was his name?
b) where was he born? c) what is shown around his head on this coin? d) He died from a wound during a campaign in the East...Outside which city was his body first buried?