Wandering through the Ancient & Classical World" Contest takes you, via coins, through past history and culture.
Herewith the Instructions for the Contest due in by June 6th 2014.
1) a) This wonderful early ancient coin is known as a ....?
b) It was used in which ancient Empire?
c) There was a famous road which ran from Sardes to ....?
d) Which ruler built that road?
2014 Grk mythicworld
2) a) in the Ancient Greek Mythical world, where was the home of the Gods? b) Shown here on an ancient Greek coin was the mythical deity who ruled over the other gods... who was he?
3) This " owl" is on the reverse of one of the best known Classical coins - a) which goddess is depicted on the obverse? b) 3 letters are minted on this coin to show its origin... what is the name of the middle letter shown?
Who is depicted
4) This coin was minted in various places throughout the classical world. a) it was originally minted for a famous conqueror called ....? b) he is depicted here wearing representative accoutrements of which deity? c) What in particular is represented on the head of the mythical deity to identify him. d) what was the name of this real famous conqueror's father? e) As a young man which famous philosopher was brought by his father to tutor him? f) which Kingdom did his father rule?
Bronze reverse w bow
5) a) The above famous ancient conqueror travelled with his army as far North East as a country now called ....? b) He died on his way back in which year? c) His closest companions and generals were called the ....? d) After his death, the various parts of his conquered lands were divided amongst them - which general took over the rule of the conquered Egyptian lands? e) What was the symbol of the Dynasty he founded - so often shown on the reverse of its coins?
Around the Mediterranean
6) Amongst the other civilizations which ruled parts of the ancient World around the Mediterranean is one whose origin was in Phoenicia. a) What do we call this civilization when it spread westward? b) who was its famous queen known to Aeneas. c) On the coin is shown one of its beloved goddesses - what was her name? d) which now Italian island was conquered in part by this power? e) Later Rome fought many battles against this power - they were known as the ? ..... Wars.
Not a Quadriga
7a) The head of Roma is shown on the obverse of this coin which is a Denarius from the Roman ... ? ... era"
b) On the reverse - beneath the elephants' feet is the area known to numismatists as the ...? c) The name shown there is that of the well known ... (2 words)Roman family of Consuls and Moneyers? d) The elephants shown refer to the earlier ancestral capture of an enemy's elephants belonging to.....?
8) This is an extremely famous coin commemorating an "assassination"... a) the murder of whom ? (2 words) b) So, what day does it represent (give the 2 Latin words) ?
c) It was minted by one of the murderers - who was he?
9) The galley on this Denarius represents a famous naval battle which ultimately led up to the formation of the Roman Empire a) The winning side was that of... ? b) though the strategy on his side was probably due more to ......? c) what was the name of this naval battle...? d) give the name of the defeated person....? e) By which famous queen had he been supported ...?
10 a) in the year 9 CE, the Roman army suffered a terrible defeat - this was at the ....( 2 words)? b) How many Roman Legion were lost ( almost totally annihilated)....? c) Were their important Legionary Standards captured ( Y or N) ? d) who was their Roman Commander..? e) What was the name of the enemy leader who defeated them?
Showing an ancient Culture
11 a) This coin shows the 1st Roman Emperor, who ruled under the name of....? Interestingly it depicts a famous place of a non Roman culture... b) it depicts the famous "........"? c) This was at ....? d) on which island...? e) It relates to which earlier famous ancient culture known as the ......?
Drawn by Mules
12 Two of the same name!!! ..... This coin shows Caligula's mother ( herself the daughter of Julia/grand daughter of Augustus) a) Please give the name of Caligula's mother ...( use 2 words) - it is confusing but please give her name and a second word to differentiate her as the earlier relative bearing that same name. b)Then give two words as the name of the later (born in 16 CE) relative - ( i.e. also with a second " differentiating" word. c) Note that this second / later Roman lady of the same first name, had a first husband by whom she had a famous son, - this first husband was.... (2 words) d) She later married an Emperor - give his name....? e)What was the vehicle shown on this coin called ( the Roman name pls)....?
13 a) This coin shows the last ruler of the Julio-Claudian dynasty - his name was ...? b) It was minted in which Egyptian city..? The City was very famous for two things --c) a navigation aide... the ( use the ancient word); d) its repository of far reaching ancient knowledge - its .......?
Son who also ruled
14 a) This son succeeded his father who founded a new Dynasty - what was his father's name? b) What was the name of the Dynasty....? c) What was the name of the Emperor ( the son) shown on this coin? d) In his reign a huge natural disaster occurred - what was it ( 2-3 words) ? e) In what year did it occur..?
15 a) This coin shows the adoptive son of the Emperor Nerva, who became the next Emperor- give his full name ( 3 words) ...? b) This wonderful column still stands - in what city? c) It celebrates the extending of the Empire to include the new province of...? d) An Arch celebrating his victories was also elevated in Italy - where?
Around the Empire
16) a)This adoptive son of the previous Emperor married Sabina, a female relative of his predecessor - what relative was she?. b) He travelled extensively through his Empire and his name was...? c) Rather than extend the Empire further, he secured its defenses - most famously he did this at the edge of the Empire in the province of....? d) He was also fond of architecture - in Rome there still stands a famous example which he rebuilt and dedicated to All the Gods - what is the name of this building? e) Where did he die?